[New in Korean] Year 2020 revisited under shadow of disconnection
简介"Face to Face" (a literal translation of the Korean title)By Choi Eun-miChangbi PublishersIn the aut ...
"Face to Face" (a literal translation of the Korean title)
By Choi Eun-mi
In the author's note for her second novel, "Face to Face," Choi Eun-mi writes, "I’ve developed a habit of thinking about someone’s 2020 when I see people passing by, to come up with a new character for my story. Where they went to sleep, where they worked, whom they were closest to, and what they feared the most in that year."
Choi takes readers back to the time when COVID-19 was spreading rapidly.
When people were confirmed to have the virus, their itineraries were traced and publicly announced. Fear of the unknown and disconnection gripped the country.
Na-ri, who runs a small craft workshop, befriends Su-mi, mother of her daughter’s friend. But Na-ri cannot understand Su-mi who controls her child excessively and tells her, “Daddy doesn’t love you.”
When Su-mi contracts the virus, Na-ri's workshop is labeled as infected, causing her to lose customers.
Struggling to keep her business afloat, Na-ri hyperventilates and is taken to a hospital, where she discovers that she had contracted tuberculosis at some point before.
She searches her memory to remember the lady who she used to take care of. Meanwhile, as COVID-19 continues to spread, Na-ri and Su-mi clash over their daughters.
Choi expands on the narrative from her short story "Here, We Are Face to Face" (2020), which depicts the suffering of women who had to shoulder the burden of child care during the pandemic.
She picks up from where Su-mi is diagnosed as having had TB and journeys into an unresolved conflict.
South Korea's ambassador to the United States on Tuesday called the apparent strengthening of c ...
Seoul and Washington embarked on their inaugural joint underwater search operation, aiming to locate ...
Besides the enduring popularity of Korean staples, a series of food crazes has been providing fresh ...
- 보란듯 제재 무시하며 국제법 준수?…김정은 활용하는 푸틴의 속내는
- Golden apples: Why fruit prices are national issue in early autumn
- S. Korea, US conduct underwater search operation for downed jet, Korean War remains
- [Korea Beyond Korea] 'Funding drought jeopardizes interest in ancient Korea studies in US'
- [사진] 영장심사 마친 이재명, 묵묵부답
- PM to meet with Xi on sidelines of Asian Games in Hangzhou
- Scholarships to begin in October for Ukrainian students in S. Korea
- Auteur Chung Ji
- [Our Museums] Gyeonggi Ceramic Museum shows artistic essence of ceramics throughout history
- [Korean History] Divided Koreas hold first
- Do professors in Korea have too much power over students?
- Intangible cultural heritage exhibitions, performances head overseas
- Hyundai Steel to showcase low
- N. Korean envoy vows stronger 'self
- New teachers’ manual bans recording devices in classrooms
- “김정은 두만강역 통해 귀국…조로관계 발전 새로운 장”
- Benois de la Danse winner Kang Mi
- Yoon's approval rating edges up after 6
- Hana Financial signs MOU with Saudi Arabia's EXIM bank to expand cooperation
- Hyundai Motor may sell Russian plant to local firm
- N. Korea scheduled to hold key parliamentary meeting following Kim
- [Herald Interview] Mimiirose hopes to make a name for itself
- Seoul shares tumble to 5
- [KH Explains] Lotte goes all
- S. Korea to step up quarantine efforts against animal diseases
- Milk prices to go up in Oct.
- N.Korea blasts Yoon for denouncing military ties with Russia at UN
- Seoul shares open lower on Fed's higher
- [사진] 용산 팔도장터 찾아 떡메치기
- [Korea Beyond Korea] ‘Korea should support Korean history studies, research abroad’
- SM founder Lee Soo
- '코로나 봉쇄' 북한, 국경 열었다…3년8개월 만에 외국인 입국
- [Korea Beyond Korea] Early Koreanists on verge of extinction overseas
- Breadwinners in their 60s or above double in 9 years
- Jakarta lights up in pink with SMTown Live 2023
- [Hello Hangeul] The making of Korean language textbooks featuring BTS