Outpaced by Coupang, Shinsegae carries out major leadership reshuffle
简介South Korean retail giant Shinsegae Group conducted a large-scale, earlier-than-usual personnel shak ...
South Korean retail giant Shinsegae Group conducted a large-scale, earlier-than-usual personnel shakeup following its flagging business showings and losing race against fast-growing retail powerhouses such as Coupang.
Via an executive appointment conducted a month ahead of its usual timing, 9 out of 25 of Shinsegae Group's chief executive officers, or some 40 percent, were replaced.
The reshuffle was made in accordance with Shinsegae Group's new system personnel management system dubbed the "integrated CEO system," in which the group aimed to consolidate organizational capabilities by having one CEO be responsible for the operation of multiple subsidiaries within a closely related business group.
Kang Hee-seok, the former CEO of E-mart -- the nation’s largest discount store chain owned by Shinsegae Group -- was replaced with Han Chae-yang, the former CEO of Chosun Hotel & Resort.
Under the new system, Han's responsibilities will now not only be limited to managing E-mart but will also include heading all of Shinsegae Group's offline retail operations, such as E-mart Everyday and E-mart 24.
CEO of Shinsegae Central City Park Ju-hyung was newly appointed to serve concurrently as the CEO of Shinsegae, the group's holdings company, while CEO of Shinsegae Food Song Hyun-suk was assigned to serve simultaneously as the CEO of Shinsegae L&B. According to the new system, Song will now assume the role of supervising the group's entire food and beverage business.
CEO of Shinsegae Property Im Young-rok was further anointed with the title of CEO of Chosun Hotels & Resort. He will now head the group's real estate development business.
Meanwhile, Lee In-young, CEO of SSG.com, and Chun Hang-il, CEO of Gmarket, were cleared to continue to serve as the heads of each company.
"(Shinsegae Group) has made bold, innovative personnel changes to fundamentally reform and strengthen the competitiveness of the organization, create new results and maximize synergy," said an official from Shinsegae.
"(Shinsegae Group) will continue to strengthen the group's future preparations by initiating performance-based personnel management," he added.
The major personnel reshuffle comes as Shinsegae Group has recently been grappling with lackluster financial results.
In the first half of 2023, Shinsegae's cumulative sales and operating profits suffered on-year decreases of 13.8 percent and 14 percent, respectively, to log 3.1 trillion won ($2.3 billion) and 302 billion won, respectively.
In addition, for the first time, the quarterly sales of Shinsegae's major retail subsidiary, E-mart, were outpaced by those of Coupang during the first quarter, on a consolidated basis. During the period, Coupang logged 7.6 trillion won in sales, while E-mart logged 7.1 trillion won.
"Shinsegae, as with other retail companies, has been suffering from slowed consumption amid the slowdown in the economy. It has also conducted a slew of large-scale mergers and acquisitions since 2021. Shinsegae is currently under pressure to show synergy between the existing and new businesses as soon as possible, and improve its financial results," said an industry official on the condition of anonymity.
"By speedily replacing the heads of its major subsidiaries, it is possible that the group is aiming to quickly prepare for next year's business," they said.
Earlier this month, a former professor saw his appeal denied in a lawsuit he filed to overturn the u ...
The Korean Federation of Community Credit Cooperatives, the nation’s leading mutual financial instit ...
이재명 더불어민주당 대표 국회 체포동의안 가결(지난 21일)이 내년 총선 판도에 미칠 파장을 두고 국민의힘 내부에서 손익 계산이 분주하다. 민주당 내 이탈표로 확인된 내분의 씨앗이 ...
XG storms back with 'New DNA'
[Herald Interview] Song Joong
4th Global Biz Forum kicks off to discuss 'next prosperity'
KB chief hopes successor transforms group into 'Samsung of finance'
[Herald Review] ‘Carmen’ redefines iconic femme fatale as stalking victim
Kakao completes its first own data center
- NK slams Yoon's warning against Pyongyang
- LG chief convenes CEO meeting to review growth strategy
- Hyundai Motor may sell Russian plant to local firm
- [Herald Interview] Mimiirose hopes to make a name for itself
- Posco to build joint venture with US grain company
- Seoul shares open lower on Fed's higher
- SKC to build bioplastics plant in Vietnam
- 러 무기 만져보고 타보고...김정은 '북·러 합작' 도발 메뉴 내놓나
- Major Korean firms fare worse than US counterparts in H1
- Unification minister to visit Britain, Germany
- "KTX 꼭 타보고 싶다" 했던 김정은 "만족한 합의"…뭐길래
- FSS issues advisories to fisheries cooperatives federation for W50b investment loss
- Incheon Airport passenger traffic to recover during Chuseok holiday
- 야당 29명 반란, 이재명 방탄 뚫렸다
- [이번 주 리뷰]美 Fed 기준금리 동결…이재명 체포동의안 가결(18~23일)
- 합의문도 없는 희한한 북·러 정상회담…결국 비즈니스 관계였나
- 한동훈, 체포안 설명 8분 넘기자…“짧게 합시다” “왜 이리 시끄럽냐”
- 보란듯 제재 무시하며 국제법 준수?…김정은 활용하는 푸틴의 속내는
- XG storms back with 'New DNA'
- Intangible cultural heritage exhibitions, performances head overseas
- Immersive, digital art shows to enjoy during extended holiday
- S. Korea holds rare military parade, warns NK against nuclear attack
- Opposition leader Lee attends arrest warrant hearing at Seoul court
- S. Korean ambassador says stronger Russia
- ‘Do you know Dr. Hong?’ Moms say they wish they didn’t
- Hospital visits during Chuseok cost up to 50% more
- Orchestra composed of players with visual impairment to perform Oct. 4
- Seoul shares open lower on Fed, growth woes
- 北주민 굶어 죽어도…김여정 디오르, 최선희는 구찌 '명품 사랑'
- Yoon plans state visits to UK, Netherlands later this year