PM to meet with Xi on sidelines of Asian Games in Hangzhou
简介Prime Minister Han Duck-soo will meet with Chinese President Xi Jinping on the sidelines of the open ...
Prime Minister Han Duck-soo will meet with Chinese President Xi Jinping on the sidelines of the opening ceremony of the Asian Games in Hangzhou, China, later this week, an official said Friday.
Han will depart for China on Saturday to attend the opening ceremony, which is set to take place later in the day. The meeting with Xi is most likely to occur before the event.
"It has been confirmed that the meeting will take place, and we are currently finalizing the location and timing," the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.
Han will be the first high-level South Korean official to meet with Xi since President Yoon Suk Yeol met with him on the sidelines of a Group of 20 summit in Bali, Indonesia, in November 2022.
During the meeting, Han is expected to convey Seoul's initiatives to arrange a trilateral summit involving Japan and China, and extend an invitation to Xi for a visit to South Korea, a proposal previously made by Yoon during the November meeting.
Han had earlier told reporters that Seoul is committed to maintaining an amicable relationship with China, emphasizing that his upcoming trip to the Asian Games aims to demonstrate Seoul's dedication to enhancing South Korea-China relations.
South Korea has usually sent the culture minister to such events.
Seoul-Beijing relations have recently experienced some strain due to what critics describe as Yoon's efforts to bring South Korea closer to the United States and Japan, departing from the previous Moon Jae-in administration's greater emphasis on China. (Yonhap)
Hyundai Motor Group on Tuesday unveiled the updates to its high-end brand Genesis’ sport utility veh ...
As the only high school pitcher on the South Korean Asian Games baseball team, teen prospect Jang Hy ...
Democratic Party of Korea leader Rep. Lee Jae-myung on Friday made pleas to "salvage democracy" from ...
- [Our Museums] Gyeonggi Ceramic Museum shows artistic essence of ceramics throughout history
- [Today’s K
- BTS' Suga begins military service
- Xi says he will consider S. Korea visit
- 120,000 more public homes to be supplied by this year
- Outpaced by Coupang, Shinsegae carries out major leadership reshuffle
Biz outlook stays flat for October amid slowing economy
[Weekender] Behind the scenes of Korean food crazes
US finalizes national security 'guardrails' for CHIPS funding
Korea’s parental leave benefits lag behind OECD average
[Herald Interview] 'UN peacekeeping forces need better gender equity'
2m Koreans opt out of life
- Yoon pushes for Xi’s visit to firm up ties with China
- [New in Korean] Year 2020 revisited under shadow of disconnection
- Allies vow stern measures against Russia
- PM departs for China for Asian Games, meeting with Xi
- [Korea Beyond Korea] 'Funding drought jeopardizes interest in ancient Korea studies in US'
- Gangwon Forestry Exhibition 2023 kicks off in Korea's 'forest capital'
- KFCC promotes financial inclusion via branches in developing nations
- S. Korean firms urge US to clarify 'foreign entity of concern'
- S. Korea, US conduct underwater search operation for downed jet, Korean War remains
- 2m Koreans opt out of life
- Is S. Korea dangerous for women?
- [Herald Review] ‘Carmen’ redefines iconic femme fatale as stalking victim
- [사진] 영장심사 마친 이재명, 묵묵부답
- “김정은 두만강역 통해 귀국…조로관계 발전 새로운 장”
- Orchestra composed of players with visual impairment to perform Oct. 4
- [Korean History] Divided Koreas hold first
- Yoon plans state visits to UK, Netherlands later this year
- House ownership widens wealth gap between young and old
- Nam June Paik Art Center to be led by new director Park Nam
- N. Korean envoy vows stronger 'self
- Seoul shares snap 4
- New teachers’ manual bans recording devices in classrooms
- Manpower Korea’s unique approach to reference checks
- “러시아 공군기, 평양 도착…북러 간 접촉 활발”
- [Herald Interview] Forever is not impossible: Oneus aspires to global reach with 'La Dolce Vita'
- Immersive, digital art shows to enjoy during extended holiday
- ‘Do you know Dr. Hong?’ Moms say they wish they didn’t
- Auteur Chung Ji
- 보란듯 제재 무시하며 국제법 준수?…김정은 활용하는 푸틴의 속내는
- S. Korean ambassador says stronger Russia